Chipotle & Mocha Brownies (adapted
from FoodTV-Canada recipe)
3 chipotle chilies, dried
1/3 cup butter
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
2 tsp freshly ground coffee bean
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 pinch salt
1/8 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Split the dried chilies and place in
a small bowl with enough hot water to cover them. Allow them to rehydrate
for about 2 minutes until very soft.
- Drain well.
- Remove the stems, seeds and chop finely.
- In a saucepan melt the butter, 2 ounces
of the bittersweet chocolate, all of the unsweetened chocolate and the
coffee until smooth.
- Let cool slightly. Using a whisk mix
in sugar, then eggs, one at a time and vanilla. Stir in the chopped,
rehydrated chilies and the remaining bittersweet chocolate. You may
need to do this in a bowl over a pan of hot water to help melt the chocolate.
- Stir in the flour, salt and cinnamon.
- Scrape the batter into a greased and
parchment paper lined 8X8 cake pan. Bake in the cneter of the oven for
20-25 minutes or until cake tester comes out with a few moist crumbs
- Let cool in pan on rack
- Cut into squares. Can be served with
Shopping List (items
you will need)
Chipotle chilies, dried
Items (items you may already have)
fresh ground coffee
all purpose flour