5-6 pound chicken
whole head of garlic
2 Tbsp butter (softened)
1.2 tsp poultry seasoning (usually I sprinkle
by sight. A nice light dusting is good)
fresh ground pepper
- Rinse out the chicken and remove the bag of giblets
(these can be frozen and used at Thanksgiving or some later date). Place
the chicken breast side up un a cutting board. (I once cooked a chicken
upside down so now I always check by holding the bird up and pretending
that it is walking. The breast is on the bottom so I know that I need
to flip the bird over. This was years ago when we were first married
but I have never lived it down!!!)
- Mince about 5 cloves of the garlic and mix it
with the butter.
- Take about 5 or 6 cloves of garlic (peeled and
clean but still whole) and place it in the cavity.
- Take the half lemon and place it in the cavity
- Take the butter and garlic mixture and pat onto
the birds skin. This will add flavor to the juices as well as make the
skin nice and brown.
- Sprinkle poultry seasoning and salt and pepper
on the outside of the bird.
- Gently place the chicken in your pot (I use a
high sided casserole dish but you can use a roast pan for crispier skin)
and place in the oven.
- Cook uncovered for about 1 3/4 - 2 1/2 hours or
to an internal temperature of 180° - 185°.